Being skinny is overrated.
No, you say? “I love chicken and broccoli,” you say? Okay. Well, indulge me and have one of these brownies before you scold me and start lecturing on how eating healthy will make you feel so great. Because I’m willing to bet that these bad boys will make you feel great too…maybe not in a “where’s my bikini?” way, but certainly in a chocolaty-creamcheese-caramely-peanutbutter-pretzely way.
I first made these Ben & Jerry’s themed brownies about a year ago for a friend’s birthday, but have made them several times since! They’re decadently delicious, pack an impressive visual punch, and are surprisingly easy to throw together. Plus, who doesn’t love chocolate, peanut butter pretzels, caramel, and cheesecake filling? Anyone out there saying “eww, peanut butter pretzels!” has just made me cry a little bit, on the inside.
But seriously, MAKE THESE the next time you have an occasion! I fully support “Tuesday afternoon” as an occasion, by the way. Also, “I’m sorta hungry” is a perfectly valid occasion.
Chubby Hubby Brownies
Source: Piece of Cake
Yield: 16 brownies
For the swirl:
8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 large egg
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup malted milk powder
For the brownies:
7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons oure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 ounces store-bought caramels, unwrapped and quartered
3 ounces peanut butter-filled pretzel nuggets, lightly crushed
1. Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8×8- inch baking pan with foil or parchment (I wouldn’t skip this part, if you usually do!) and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
2. To make the cream cheese swirl, get a medium bowl and beat together the cream cheese, 1 egg, sugar, vanilla and malt powder until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, melt the chocolate and butter together in a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring occasionally until smooth. Whisk in the cocoa powder and set aside to cool.
4. In another medium bowl, whisk together the 3 eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt until combined, about 15 seconds. Whisk the cooled chocolate mixture into the egg mixture. Stir in the flour with a wooden spoon until just combined.
5. Spread half the brownie batter evenly in the prepared pan. Sprinkle half the caramel bits and half the crushed pretzels evenly over the top. Pour in the cream cheese mixture and smooth the surface with a spatula. Dollop the remaining half of the brownie batter over the cream cheese mixture in 5-6 generous blobs. Using a butter knife, lightly swirl the brownie batter and cream cheese mixture together. Sprinkle the remaining caramel bits and pretzels over the top.
6. Bake until slightly puffed and a toothpick comes out clean when tested 1 inch from the edges (it will look a bit underdone in the middle), about 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours, before cutting and serving. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.